500 Bourke Street
This comprehensive tower podium redevelopment choreographs a significant public space.
Our design and careful refiguring of the existing conditions, works to stitch the site back into the rhythm of laneways and streets that define the site and characterise Melbourne city life. It activates and rejuvenates the site across multiple levels and street frontages. From Bourke Street the journey begins with a steel and glass canopy recalling the traditional street verandah of Bourke Street whilst framing a place to meet.
The refurbished foyer, now open and extended, has a dramatic folded and textured ceiling above. It leads up and out onto a northern courtyard with retail and restaurant tenancies on Little Bourke Street. This activated ground plane shifts and folds to accommodate level changes and to connect to an elevated public terrace and the adjacent laneway.
- Client ISPT Super Property
- Location Melbourne, Victoria
- Distance from JWA 2.7km
- Procurement Design Competition
- Project Duration 2006 – 2010
- Floor Levels 3
- Footprint 2,620 sqm
- Floor Area 4500 sqm
- Sustainability NABERS 4 star rating
- Selected Awards
- Award for Commercial Architecture, RAIA Vic 2011
- Joseph Reed Award for Urban Design, RAIA Vic 2011
- Lighting Design Winner, Melbourne Design Awards 2011